[ RadSafe ] RE: IRF - NUREG 4884

Wesley wesvanpelt at att.net
Sat Aug 20 08:08:50 CDT 2005

Barbara and All,

Thanks for your research showing that I-125 can be produced in an
accelerator. However, I believe essentially all I-125 sold and used in the
US originates in a nuclear reactor. And of course, the original question of
why I-125 is missing in NUREG-4884, "Interpretation of Bioassay
Measurements", would derive from reasoning on or before its publication date
of 1987. This is well before International Isotopes in Texas was
contemplating producing I-125 in its linear accelerator (LINAC.)

So, I am still puzzled as to why I-125 was omitted from NUREG-4884. There
are 10 original authors, one or more of whom may be reading RADSAFE. They
are: Lessard, Yihua, Skrable, Chabot, French, Labone, J. R. Johnson, Fisher,
Belanger and Lipsztein. Any of you wish to comment?

Wes

Wesley R. Van Pelt, PhD, CIH, CHP <mailto:WesVanPelt at att.net>

Wesley R. Van Pelt <http://home.att.net/~wesvanpelt/Radiation.html>
Associates, Inc.