AW: [ RadSafe ] In-flight radiation benefit

Rainer.Facius at dlr.de Rainer.Facius at dlr.de
Thu Aug 4 05:43:23 CDT 2005

Thanit:

I want to add to the short answers you obtained by now.

The radiation doses which flight crew at commercial flight altitudes (up to FL 400) accrue average around 3 mSv per year which is well below the limit of 20 mSv per year which terrestrial radiation workers are allowed to receive in Europe and according to ICRP.

The above world wide mean value of 3 mSv per year averages over geomagnetic latitudes, flight altitudes and solar activity cycle. So far, measured exposures typically range from 1 mSv per year for crew serving mainly equatorial routes to at most 6 mSv for crew flying chiefly intercontinental routes near the poles. As a function of the geomagnetic latitude, the dose rates for any given flight level saturate at latitudes above about 60 degrees. So flying polar routes is normally not too different from flying long distance North Atlantic routes. All this pertains to the regular exposure to the normal source of galactic cosmic rays (GCR) or rather their fragments remaining after their passage through the about 200 g per cm^2 air which they have to traverse before reaching you at FL 400.

Regarding the irregular irradiation from occasional energetic solar particle events (SPE), their impact on your radiation exposure is entirely restricted to geomagnetic latitudes above 50 degrees. There, the vast majority of these SPEs add to your radiation doses hardly more than an hour or so added flight time would do. Actually, following the more intense SPEs, the regular GCR dose rate is often substantially reduced for several weeks by the so called Forbush decrease, so that the net effect of many SPEs could in reality be a reduction of your annual exposure. Very rarely, i.e. about once a decade, the exposure from very large SPEs matches the normal GCR dose which you receive during a flight London-Seattle. Even more rarely, i.e., about twice a century you might expect to receive from a single SPE a dose which approaches the limit set for pregnant women, i.e., 1 mSv.  Of course the uncertainties of these frequencies are quite large, given the small numbers of observations which they are based on, but that is what we know.

The above exposures pertain to duty times of typically less than 1000 block hours a year. With your companies goal of 1500 block hours per year (hopefully paid properly) you might expect to accrue about 9 mSv per year. That compares to exposures which people receive when living in areas of high natural background radiation, such as in Cornwall, Massif Central (France), Kerala (India), Yangjiang (China) or Spas like Ramsar (Iran) and Bad Gastein (Austria), the latter two featuring actually significantly larger dose rates. Yet nowhere has an increased rate of cancer incidence/mortality been observed in these populations. Quite the contrary, a slightly negative - though statistically insignificant - trend of cancer mortality with increasing dose is often observed. This agrees with the - again statistically insignificant - negative trend observed in the so far largest epidemiological study of cockpit crew.

I hope that helps.

Regards, Rainer Facius

Dr. Rainer Facius
German Aerospace Center