[ RadSafe ] Uncertainties are too large to decide either way!

parthasarathy k s ksparth at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Aug 5 00:18:09 CDT 2005

Dear Dr.Rainer Facius,

I am sorry I did not indicate the average radiation level. The average is about 7.5 mGy in the high background radiation area.

During the seven years in which I was a member of the monitoring committee of the Natural High Background Radiation Cancer Registry project, I used to insist on taking away the pencil and graph sheets of some of the members to prevent them from drawing any graph! Since you are too far away I cannot do that! as expected, you drew the graph!

I feel that the conclusions in the paper in Radiation Research is only preliminary.Lot more work needs to be done; particularly on doses to individual inhabitants. We have to account for radon/thoron contribution, contribution of thorium in blood etc.

Let us wait for the final result; till such time your conclusion may be correct! the reverse also may be true.

Regards

K.S.Parthasarathy Ph.D
Raja Ramanna Fellow
Deprtment of Atomic Energy
Mumbai

Rainer.Facius at dlr.de wrote:

Dear colleague:

Thank you for your addendum regarding the maximum dose rates in Kerala of 70 mGy per annum which, however, as far as I know cannot be considered representative for population exposures. By the way, the - insignificant - negative trend for cancer mortality was also apparent from the paper you quoted, as the regression lines in the attached graph show.

Please keep us informed about any follow-up studies on this population.

Kind regards, Rainer

Dr. Rainer Facius
German Aerospace Center
Institute of Aerospace Medicine