[ RadSafe ] AW: Uncertainties are too large to decide either way!

Rainer.Facius at dlr.de Rainer.Facius at dlr.de
Fri Aug 5 03:36:17 CDT 2005

Dear Dr. Parthasarathy:

I agree that this single graph tells nothing about the dependency of cancer risk on radiation dose, neither in Kerala nor elsewhere, and I regret and recant if I left the impression that I wanted to draw conclusions from these data.

Yet, given the so far consistent absence in epidemiological data of an enhancement of cancer risks for adults from chronic low dose exposures up to some hundred mSv, given the results from several epidemiological studies testifying to the contrary (either for thresholds or even for hormesis), and given the advances in biological insight which led to the development of several quite sophisticated models of cellular (and tissue) mechanisms which do predict that contrary behaviour for relevant endpoints and which in turn have been corroborated in laboratory work, I would be quite surprised if subsequent more consolidated data on Kerala would display a significant reversal of the trend presently seen, though of course I cannot exclude it.

And therefore, I do believe that it is worth trying to visualize these data as well as others which often remain hidden behind convoluted 'arithmetic' for whatever reasons you might conjecture.

Thank you for your additional information and again please keep us informed about your progress.

Best regards, Rainer Facius

Dr. Rainer Facius
German Aerospace Center
Institute of Aerospace Medicine