[ RadSafe ] joint statement by surviving members of the Enola Gay crew

Jaro jaro-10kbq at sympatico.ca
Sun Aug 7 16:45:57 CDT 2005

http://www.aviationnow.com/publication/awst/loggedin/AvnowStoryDisplay.do?pu
bKey=awst&issueDate=2005-08-08&section=World+News+Roundup
World News Roundup
Aviation Week & Space Technology
08/08/2005, page 21

Surviving members of the Enola Gay crew, in observance of the 60th
anniversary of the end of World War II, last week issued a joint statement
reaffirming that none of them regret having dropped the world's first atomic
bomb on Hiroshima on Aug. 6, 1945, in hopes of expediting the end of the
war. The second atomic bomb was dropped on Aug. 9. Brig. Gen. (ret.) Paul W.
Tibbets, who piloted the Enola Gay, said he has received many letters from
people worldwide--including Japan--and the vast majority have expressed
gratitude that the 509th Composite Group was able to deliver the means that
brought the war to a close.

In the joint statement, Tibbets said, "To our fellow veterans and the
American nation, we all echo one sentiment, We pray that reason will prevail
among leaders before we ever again need to call upon our nuclear might.
There are no regrets. We were proud to have served like so many men and
women stationed around the world today. To them, to you, we salute you, and
goodbye."