AW: [ RadSafe ] Re: "Science" reports on background radiation andhealth

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 10 16:30:52 CDT 2005

Rainer,
I think you have fallen prey to the problem of wishful
thinking.  As a scientist, I expected more for you.

This has nothing to do with the LNT or ecological
studies.  It is what science is about.  Studies
performed and evidence presented.  Do you know of any
that support the idea that people who live in high
background areas are healthier and live longer?

--- Rainer.Facius at dlr.de wrote:

> "Can you cite any epidemiological studies..."
>

> John:
>

> Apparently you have fallen prey to the fairy tale
> perpetuated by linear philosophers that ecological
> epidemiological studies yield no valid conclusion
> whatsoever. Particularly in case of linear
> stimulus-risk relations, BL Cohen has conclusively
> refuted that myth. Otherwise it might indeed be
> impossible to extract risk coefficients from
> ecological studies. But who actually cares about
> risk coefficients if the complete (of course
> non-linear) risk function representing essentially
> the whole population is known. Obviously again only
> linear minds would care. Otherwise you might wish to
> study some of the results demonstrated in the papers
> of the incomplete list below (BTW, not all report
> ecological studies).
>

> Kind regards, Rainer
>
>  . . .

"Every now and then a man's mind is stretched by a new idea and never shrinks back to its original proportion." -- Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist
e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com