[ RadSafe ] DU CYLINDER LEAKAGE

Roger Helbig rhelbig at california.com
Wed Aug 17 05:03:39 CDT 2005

I was told by a correspondent that the following had occurred:  Can anyone on this list confirm or refute these claims?  Thank you.

Roger Helbig

I particularly was interested in the claim that DUF6 had escaped from cylinders and that workers had been exposed to neutron flux with resulting cancer

I am aware from reading a DOE report that an infinitesimally small amount of Plutonium can be found in DUF6 cylinders, but that this is so small that it presents no hazard.

 The cylinders have lost material by valves being broken off one hot
cylinder that was dropped at the plant in 1978 or 79 lost 21,000.00 Lbs DUF6 just in one release.  In 1992 another release left the yard and went
airborne.  There has been many release to the air at the Piketon site. These
Cylinders give off neutrons exposure to the workers and contaminated the
land around where they are stack. Many breech's have happen from the
cylinders.  Some workers at the plant have gotten money for cancer by the EEOCIPA compensation. Remember the DUF6 also has Plutonium in it..Believe it or not I did better in Science than any other class..I am a sick worker from this plant and I have lost many family and friends and co-workers to cancer. .

  Hex-Fluorides are very hazards to your health and is eating through the
cylinders which is causing them to leak. Before I was chemical and radiation
exposure I could write and do many things better than I can now.  So what is
your interested  in the DUF6 ?

I asked the following question ..to obtain the above reply

In what way does DUF6 being stored at the nearby location cause you to
have a sick and dying community?  None of the DUF6 has ever escaped from a cylinder, so what kind of pollution are you referring to

This question resulted from following post to a DU activist list

Portsmouth/Piketon Residents for Environmental Safety and Security is
concern about the massive stockpiles of DU waste sitting idle at the
Portsmouth Gaseous Diffusion plant in Piketon, Ohio. PRESS is really concern about the shipments that are flowing in from the Tennessee plant by trucks and rail road to the Piketon,Ohio  Plant. We are building a DU conversion plant in which we don't even know if it will work for the DU cylinders that are stack in the Piketon/Portsmouth, Ohio Yard now.  Before  this conversion plant is even build  shipments of this DU WASTE is being ship in from  the Oakridge, Tenn. plant that are old rusty and  give off Neutrons exposures.  Communities are not being  warn about the hazards of this waste of DU cylinders being shipped through these communities.
    Can anyone help stop these shipments until at least we can see if we can
convert this waste..HELP!!!!! How can they get buy with this madness?  Why isn't anyone concern about this waste that is being ship to
Portsmouth/Piketon Ohio site.. We are becoming a national dump site without the approval of the community being told the truth..A few years back a standing room only said NO! to waste shipment to the Piketon Plant and now today waste is still coming here.  NO jobs in a waste site. We are a sick
and dying community from the pollution here.