[ RadSafe ] Matching Backgrounds for Gamma Count Rates

Mccormick, Luke I luke.mccormick at dhs.gov
Thu Aug 18 08:42:31 CDT 2005

With clearance values as stupidly low as they are, most of the time you
need to take a background measurement. Only at one spot have I found the
entire building crapped up. There is usually at least 1 room you can get a
reasonable bkgd from. Yes, true bkgd will vary room to room but as long as
you are using the MARSSIM methodology you can get by. Remember for
clearance purposes, background is the upper 95% confidence limit value of
what you measured, not the mean value. If you use the mean you have just
assumed 50% of your measurements are above background.