[ RadSafe ] Intake Retention Factor NUREG 4884

Perrero, Daren Perrero at iema.state.il.us
Fri Aug 19 16:40:49 CDT 2005

Good Afternoon Wes et al

The student in me has a theory as to why its not included:

In the discussion portion of the introduction to NUREG/CR-4884 there is a
brief instruction as to how to go about generating your own table of IRF's
for nuclides not listed by taking into account radioactive decay of the
nuclide in question (see last paragraph in section 3.1) which is what I'm
attempting to do for a few nuclides.  As a matter of fact the reference uses
I-125 and 10 day post intake scenario to generate one data point for the
total body.  Thus I believe it is intended to be a classic case of 'the
proof is left as an exercise for the student'......

But even if you take the time to regenerate the table for stable I-127 and
its various values, the problem arises in that there are no 'thyroid' values
identified for I-127, only 'systemic organs'.  I am forced to assume that
under the ICRP 30 model, the systemic organ value should be dominated by the
thyroid's preferential concentration of I-125 and then generate the decay
adjusted tables.  Alternately I suppose I could try to reverse engineer the
data by back calculating the data that was used to generate the I-131 table
which does include a thyroid IRF column.

When all is said and done for this case, I am comforted by the fact that
internal dosimetry is as much an 'art' as it is a 'science' due to all the
variables that are involved when trying to apply the calculated information
to a real person's in vivo measurement.

Daren

The opinions expressed are mine, all mine.....
I'm with the government, I'm here to help you.
Daren Perrero
perrero at iema.state.il.us