[ RadSafe ] I125 production

Dale Boyce daleboyce at charter.net
Sat Aug 20 18:21:27 CDT 2005

Hi all,

I125 is best produced by Xe124(n,gamma)Xe125 ec-> I125 in a reactor. While
there are ways to make it from either Xe or Te targets it really isn't
economically practical.

All of the I125 used by International Isotopes in Texas was made in
reactors.

I123 cannot be made in a reactor and so accelerator production is the only
way to get it. Accelerators are poor at producing long-lived or therapeutic
quantities of isotopes.  Fortunately, I123 is quite short-lived, and only
used in diagnostic applications.

One caveat to my blanket statements above is that one in principle could
irradiate fissionable material in an accelerator, and make anything that a
reactor makes. Without going into a dissertation on this, there are a _lot_
of reasons from nuclear physics, thermal physics, and health physics point
of view that make this less desirable than using a reactor.

For those of you that may have known Lon Morgan, and were not aware of it,
he passed away at the end of June.

Dale