[ RadSafe ] Re: DOE funding hormesis research in Australia??

Maury Siskel maurysis at ev1.net
Mon Aug 22 03:28:35 CDT 2005

Hi Jim,
Finally dug out a bit more information --
Cheers,
Maury&Dog          (maurysis at ev1.net)

====================
News and Research Stories

          The other side of radiation

 Testing the idea that very low dose radiation exposure may actually be
good for you has brought a grant of more than A$1.3 million of overseas
funding to Flinders University.

A Flinders research project that will explore apparent protective
mechanisms triggered by exposure to low-level radiation has received a
grant of just over US$1million from the United States Department of
Energy under its Biological and Environmental Research Program.

The project's leader, Associate Professor Pamela Sykes, a SouthPath
Chief Medical Scientist of the Department of Haematology and Genetic
Pathology, said the Department of Energy funds a number of projects with
the main aim of determining the health risks to humans posed by low
levels of radiation.

The Flinders team received previous US funding to investigate the body's
sensitive assay, which employs a transgenic mouse model.

The team comprises Dr Tony Hooker as Co-Principal Investigator and two
PhD students, Ms Tanya Day and Mr Benjamin Blyth, with technical
assistance from Ms Monica Dreimanis and Ms Guoxin Zeng. The researchers
will now move their focus to understanding the natural mechanisms that
limit chromosomal damage and the likelihood that these can be "switched
on" by low dose radiation.

Present occupational health and safety and population limits for
radiation exposure are set by an extrapolation from what is known of
high dose effects, resulting in a presumption that any exposure to
radiation is dangerous and should be avoided.

"Our original data showed that there is not a straight line between the
amount of chromosomal damage at high doses and the damage at low doses,"
Associate Professor Sykes said.

She said that while there is no argument about the dangers posed by
high-level radiation, the earlier Flinders project demonstrated that
low-dose exposures can show a benign effect.

"At some doses radiation appeared to be protective, showing less
chromosomal damage than if there had been no radiation at all,"
Associate Professor Sykes said.

"We think that the radiation is causing signals that induce protection
not only from the radiation itself, but from damage that results from
normal living, from cell metabolism.

"Our task now is to explain how that happens."

Exposure to doses of low-level radiation appears to prime the body's
defences, and may even be of assistance in protecting against subsequent
exposure to higher radiation doses, Associate Professor Sykes said.

"We have found that if the cells are exposed to a protective low dose,
and then a subsequent higher dose, we almost stop any of the damage that
would have occurred at the higher dose," she said.

"How long the protective effect lasts, we don't yet know."

There are, however, encouraging signs that the protective effect extends
well beyond the immediate area of exposure.

"We do know that some of the cells that are responding are not the ones
that have been hit by the radiation, strongly indicating that signals
sent out by exposed cells cause responses in cells elsewhere in the
body," Associate Professor Sykes said.

The protective effect has been observed in both the spleen and the
prostate in their transgenic mice.

"These are very different organs, which suggests that the response is a
fundamental one and will occur in other tissues," Associate Professor
Sykes said.

Thanks to the earlier project, the researchers have been able to
pinpoint the range of radiation doses at which lower levels of
chromosomal damage eventuate.

"We don't know if this range is going to be important in terms of other
endpoints, but chromosomal damage is really important in terms of cancer
formation," Associate Professor Sykes said.

Associate Professor Sykes said the research has considerable
implications in terms of the enormous sums currently spent on preventing
radiation exposure. She said that even though medical researchers and
clinicians are permitted exposure equal to ten times the limit allowed
for the Australian public, both levels were extremely conservative.

"There are places in the world where the natural background is higher
than the level that I am allowed to receive as a radiation worker," she
said.

"I am certainly not suggesting that these limits should be changed now,
because we need more evidence.

"But it may be that we don't need to go to this enormous expense to
protect ourselves from low-level radiation. And the sort of work we are
doing will give us facts rather than a theoretical extrapolation.

"And eventually we may be able to protect workers who are exposed to
radiation by giving them a dose of radiation that will stimulate the
protective response before they go in, effectively acting as an
immunisation."