[ RadSafe ] Attn. Landauer Customers

Jim Blute jblute at NITON.com
Tue Aug 23 17:11:14 CDT 2005

I want to share with everyone a solution I found to a problem that has
bugged me for some time.

I have experienced frustration with administering a dosimetry program
and frequently having control badges not subtracted from personnel badge
results.  I use Landauer and, admittedly, at times I was at fault by not
submitting the control badge for various reasons.  Other times I came to
suspect that Landauer made the mistake.  I have heard from other HPs who
use other companies for dosimetry services and they run into similar
problems so I am not writing this to criticize Landauer.  Regardless of
root cause, fixing the problem was a not always easy.  You can ask
Landauer to subtract any value you feel is appropriate after the fact,
but Landauer does not regularly report the control badge results so I am
left trying to choose an appropriate background without having knowledge
of what background to a badge might be for me.  Not to mention that I
would rather not have to deal with a correction each time the problem
occurs.  Often I would forget to do a correction or consciously decide
that I was too busy and the correction to minor for me to be bothered.
At these times I was left feeling guilty for not subtracting something
appropriate.

I spoke with Landauer today about it and for the first time I was made
aware of a reporting option that you have with them.  If you ask them
to, they will automatically subtract 6 mrem per month from any reported
result that did not have a control badge associated with it.  The 6 mrem
comes from a study they did of national average.  Granted it may not be
perfect, but it is likely close enough for most applications.  And it
keeps you from having to deal with the problem each time.

I hope this info helps at least a few folks out there.  If it is common
knowledge, then I missed the boat somewhere along the line.

Of course, I always seem to be at the airport when my ship comes in :-)

Jim Blute, CHP

Thermo Electron Corporation

Corporate Radiation Safety Officer

Portable Elemental Analysis

900 Middlesex Turnpike, Bldg. #8

Billerica, MA 01821-3926 USA

1-800-875-1578

Fax: 978-670-7430

e-mail: jblute at niton.com

WORLDWIDE CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: Dissemination, distribution or copying
of this e-mail or the information herein by anyone other than the
intended recipient, or an employee or agent of a system responsible for
delivering the message to the intended recipient, is prohibited. If you
are not the intended recipient, please inform the sender and delete all
copies.