[ RadSafe ] High court backs 'sloshed' trucker - State justices: Hauler of OR waste disabled, due workers' comp

Mercado, Don don.mercado at lmco.com
Thu Dec 1 16:25:32 CST 2005

Cindy Bloom

"Wow,

This sure does underline the importance of training, putting risks in
perspective and providing prompt as well as continuous information to
workers who might be exposed to materials or environments that have a
potential to cause harm if exposures are sufficiently high."

Not really.

I've been teaching classes on RF safety for years and cover
*extensively* the relative risks and the worst case accidents that can
happen with the devices we produce; a mild heating of the skin. This
information is posted in many places and is reemphasized in the
retraining as well. Still, we have had people who thought they were
exposed (they weren't) and suffered from mental anguish. One guy felt
ill just putting on his personal alarming monitor. Over the years we've
added additional layers of "safety", not bec there is any hazard, but to
assuage the employee's concerns. Now I'm getting, "If it wasn't that
hazardous, we wouldn't have all this safety stuff!" Some people quit
rather than work with RF. Can an employer be held responsible for an
employee's phobias?

Don