[ RadSafe ] High court backs 'sloshed' trucker - State justices: Hauler of OR waste disabled, due workers' comp

Cindy Bloom radbloom at comcast.net
Thu Dec 1 19:35:30 CST 2005

Don,

Your note emphasizes my points about putting risks in perspective and about
following up with people who might be concerned about risks especially
during nonroutine events.  Two weeks seems like a long time to find out if
a shirt was contaminated.

Most of us, who have been involved with compliance issues, can readily
attest to regulatory or self-imposed requirements that we wouldn't hesitate
to violate under emergency circumstances and where we would consider any
negative risks from associated exposures to be very, very low.  It is
important to differentiate the difference between compliance requirements
and health risk.  "All that safety stuff" is to help us avoid situations
where it is "all that hazardous."

It is also very important to be available to discuss workers concerns and
to routinely reassure them if need be (and if possible).  But it is also
important to counsel those workers, who are extremely uncomfortable with
the idea of a given risk, to consider looking/training for a type of
employment that does not include the risk of concern.  It's important to
remind people that worrying about risk can be a health risk in itself, too.

I will never be a race car driver and some people should not choose
radiation work.

Cindy