[ RadSafe ] Two unrelated questions for the group

Minnema, Douglas Douglas.Minnema at nnsa.doe.gov
Fri Dec 2 13:26:46 CST 2005

Rainer and all of you who have responded,

Thank you all, your responses have been very helpful to answer both of my
questions.

NUREG-1717 does answer all my smoke detector questions, and much more on
that topic.

As for the Mars trip, Rainer's response is very helpful, and is in line with
what I thought I had seen before.  The article does not discuss dose numbers
at all, but it does mention some of the shielding concepts that Rainer
discusses.  I was wondering why they were looking at hydrogen for a shield.

much appreciated,

Doug Minnema