[ RadSafe ] Monitoring cadavers at Medical Schools

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 14 09:54:50 CST 2005

Tom,
First, check the chart.  We had a cadaver that had
I-125 prostate seed implants.  (It was the first we
have had with implants.)  They started to remove the
organs when they found "these little particles in the
prostate."  The corpse had the implants 2 years, as
noted in the medical chart, before he died and was
shipped to us.

We supplied the morgue with a thin-window NaI probe
and meter, but I would not swear they check each
cadaver.

--- "Johnston, Thomas" <Tom_Johnston at nymc.edu> wrote:

> Question?
>
> What procedure, if any, is in place to monitor
> cadavers upon arrival at
> your Medical School, for radioactive material?
>

> Thomas P. Johnston
>
> Radiation Safety Officer
>
> New York Medical College
>
> Valhalla, NY 10595
>
> 914-594-4448 office
>
> 914-594-3665 fax
>
> 914-557-5950 mobile
>
> tom_johnston at nymc.edu

"Efforts and courage are not enough without purpose and direction."
"John F. Kennedy, U.S. President and former Naval Officer

-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist
e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com