[ RadSafe ] RE: Mangano: US Beta Levels Up 40% Since 1980

farbersa at optonline.net farbersa at optonline.net
Tue Dec 27 12:54:41 CST 2005

Hi Peter,
Your suggestion is a good one. However,  just debunking exaggerated or erroneous claims after the fact while vitally important is not enough.  It's also important that nuclear endeavors find  creative, impactful ways using radiation issues to reach the public, gain their interest, and get across the points that are vital to the public and regulators not fearing every Bq or stray photo bouncing around.

On the first point about debunking critics, unfortunately, this objective is made all the more difficult by the fact that corporations that have the most to gain by highlighting the errors and even lies of critics often try to keep a low profile and avoid the public debate.

I've sadly witnessed the latter issue, time and again. In one case, I was invited by one company to debate Dr. Najarian who had authored a "study" published by the Boston Globe "Spotlight Investigation Team" claiming a 10 fold excess of leukemia among the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard workers.  I put in a request to my then employer to engage in this activity which would have involved an on-air debate on a Boston radio station with the VA physician Najarian who authored the study.  I carefully noted in my request I would do it on my own time, would mention I was speaking as a private citizen, and would do it at a time approved by my supervisor so as not to interfere with any priority work.

Shortly after making the request to participate in this on-air debate, I was summoned to the Chairman's office of my  "public benefit corporation" employer and found myself in a room with a dozen lawyers positioned down the length of a 40 foot table with the Chairman on one end of the table and me on the other. I was told point blank by the Chairman of this multiple nuclear plant operator [and the largest non-Federal power generating company in the US]:

"I want you to understand one thing regarding your request. If it ever comes to my attention that you have a made a statement in favor of nuclear energy, you will no longer be an employee of the XY Power Authority."

I asked if I might ask one question and was told yes. My question was: "Why?"

The answer was: "The Governor of this State does not approve of nuclear energy."  Case closed.

Subsequently, it took 10 years  after a study was dragged out by NIOSH, for it to put out a study where the claims of Najerian were found lacking, and the results criticizing the original claims of a 10 fold excess of leukemia, were buried in the literature with essentially no public outreach.

This tendency of many corporations to think that if they avoid getting into the fray and engaging their critics and at the extreme their enemies intent on destroying them, is a large part of why nuclear endeavors have withered.  Most companies will not provide any time or support to technical people to get involved in debunking critics and as I have seen will often interfere with a staffperson who is willing to do it on their own time and initiative.

Many years later, after I authored a satire during the 1988 election campaign on the "health hazards of Strepdukakis antinucleosis", I was invited to give a talk to the New England Chapter of the ANS on any subject I wished. Put together a talk about my personal experiences in trying to do various things in nuclear public information -some which turned out to be positive, some negative in terms of my corporate employers. The title of this talk was:

"Nuclear Power and Public Information -- Suicide on the Installment Plan."

The title says a lot about what the nuclear industry has and has not done in promoting its own,  and the publics interest regarding the incentives for nuclear technologies.

Regarding the Cs-137 in wood ash study I mentioned in a prior post. This study ended up being criticized by my then employer whose PR manager told reporters who inquired after I gave a paper about the results to an annual meeting of the HPS in Washington in 1991 [after going thru the paper approval process of my employer, having it peer reviewed by other staff, etc.]  that it was not supported by the company, and that the company was "distancing itself" from the study. Nonetheless, I arranged to speak with dozens of reporters who wanted information about the subject from my home and was able to get dozens of articles in the popular press [newspapers, periodicals including Organic Gardening Magazine with a monthly paid subscriber base of 1,000,000 at the time] highlighting that despite wood ash having been found to have up to 20,000 picoCuries per kg of ash, it presented a trivial dose and a trivial risk. However, wastes of this concentration from nuclear plants and hospitals
 were having to be disposed of as radwaste at great cost.

These results proved irresistable to the public and companies like the pulp and paper industry which generates tens of  millions of tons of wood ash per year approached me and wanted the environmental lab with which I was affiliated to perform gamma spectroscopy analyses of the ash so this Wisconson based paper company had some data on the Cs-137 in their wood ash.  My employer refused to do these radiological analyses. The paper company involved in making this request then asked me what kind of scam was I running where I raise a potential problem and then would not help them get some analyses done? Good question.

Related to this same issue, the Nuclear Safety Advisor to the State of Maine called me to discuss my survey. He told me that the public was bombarding his office with questions about radioactivity in wood ash after about 3 or 4 Maine papers ran lengthy stories on the issue highlighting the inconsistent regulation of hospital and nuclear plant wastes vs. other radioactive waste streams.  He said he had gotten multiple calls from upset Maine residents who had called my employer, asked to get some information, or talk to someone about the results and had their calls routed to the PR Manager. The callers were told the company, my employer,  would not discuss the issue with any callers.  Hmmmm, curioser and curioser. There was an underlying reason why the nuclear company involved would not talk about radioactivity in wood ash as I later found out which related to the use of biomass in power generation by certain utilities who did not want the issue to get any attention.  A 50 MW[
e] biomass plant generates on the order of 1,000 cubic meters of woodash per year.   The disposal of this ash  can be made a lot more complicated if it is viewed as a waste, rather than mixed with manure and spread on the fields of large organic farming coops for soil amendment to replenish depleted potassium

So once again, rather than a nuclear company establishing an optimal relationship with interested members of the public, other companies, and regulators on a radiation related risk perception issue, where they would have been able to develop a good working relationship based on their expertise, the nuclear endeavor ended up looking like it  had something to hide by refusing to talk with the various publics involved.  Another perfect example of "natching defeat from the jaws of victory" as is said. Too bad.

Regards and Best Wishes for getting it right in the New Year,

Stewart Farber, MS Public Health
Consulting Scientist
The Prometheus Group, LLC
[203] 367-0791