[ RadSafe ] (chernobyl mushrooms)Re: Radiation detectors at ports

Emil kerrembaev at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 28 14:26:25 CST 2005

Greetings,

What MDA's are you talking about?
Concentrated juices and "wild" mushrooms from the eastern Europe
would alarm?
I don't think so!
I counted on HPGe gamma spec a...huuuge 10 pound-er mushroom in
Chernobyl in 1988, just traces of Cs-137 a few pCi/g.
We eat it!!!
After that I had whole body counts done at 15 USA plants(some counts
1 hour long) and they never showed ANY traces of Cs-137. Just
potassium-40 :-)
I just left Vegas but if I still were there, I would bet 1000:1 on:
"No port screening system would alarm on Chernobyl mushrooms".
If you worked with gamma counting systems, you would know that we are
talking about "Environmental" levels pCi of Cs-137, it is less than 1
dpm....
I can imagine scenario when somebody brought Chernobyl mushrooms and
you counted it in lab conditions with low BKG.
Field units..... I don't think so.

Regards,

Emil.