[ RadSafe ] MPH

farbersa at optonline.net farbersa at optonline.net
Wed Dec 28 23:34:23 CST 2005

Many MPH or MSPH programs involve extensive coursework in biostatistics and epidemiology so don't be too quick to dismiss an analysis of some issue based solely on the individual having an MPH degree. I have no idea what coursework or concentration within Public Health Mr. Mangano may have had.

In my own case, having taken a two year MSPH degree with a concentration in Air Pollution Control, the program involved a core of courses in Micrometerology, Civil Engineering, Chemical Engineering and two years of coursework in biostatistics and a year course in Epidemiology, and various electives like Radiological Health,  as well as a research thesis to develop an ultrasensitive technique for measuring ambient Hg in air and running an air monitoring network for a time.  My program also involved all the basic Public Health courses  [Public Health Practice, Environmental Sciences] which might be more common alone in a one year MPH degree.

Happy New Year to all,

Stewart Farber, MS Public Health [Air Pollution Control]
UMass Amherst School of Public Health '73
[203] 367-0791