[ RadSafe ] Key chain radiation detectors - Insurance for all HPs

howard long hflong at pacbell.net
Thu Dec 29 10:36:03 CST 2005

I wear the Nukalert (details at www.Nukalert.com)

  I met the inventor at a meeting of Doctors for Disaster Preparedness, which has investigated, supports and even helps fund distribution to first responders (c$100).
  Simply, it indicates time before 100 Rad at that level of total radiation,
  enabling putting mass and distance between the holder and source with confidence that no damaging dose results, and thus no panic disaster.

    I also have a palmRAD 907 Nuclear Radiation Meter (c $550), details at www.berkeleynucleonics.com which would need a user with more knowledge of the effects of radiation.

  Howard Long

Sreenivas Komanduri <Sreenivas.Komanduri at dep.state.nj.us> wrote:
  My question is about 'toy' like radiation detectors a couple of them
being marketed on the internet. Pictures show real small, can be
attached to the key ring of your car keys and they are marketed as
'dirty bomb detectors'.

Does anyone have any experience of having bought and used them for any
purpose such as training or demo etc.? Would you please share your
experience?

I believe this may not be the first time this is being asked, you may
send your replies to me directly. Thanks.

Vas Komanduri; Ph.D.
NJ Department of Environmental Protection
Office of Quality Assurance
9 Ewing Street
P.O Box 424
Trenton, NJ 08625