AW: [ RadSafe ] Re: LNT/threshold/hormesis - what do HPs really

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 21 11:43:21 CDT 2005

Of course, the poll is only a reflection of the
sampling group.  There is a story that a telephone
poll was conducted of the 1932 election between FDR
and Herbert Hoover.  Herbert Hoover won the poll, as
only rich people could afford telephones during the
Great Depression.  (This is an ancedotal story, so do
not take it seriously.)  A poll taken on RADSAF would
only apply to those who subscribe to RADSAF.  And
cared enough to vote.

Rainer, I agree that the issues around the LNT and
hormesis is not about scientific truth.  They are
models of dose response, and neither rise to level of
a scientific theory.

<8C7AD67141A06D499823B280003E6C02EDF20B at svits11.main.ad.rit.edu>

> It seems to me that, on Radsafe, we seem to hear
> more from HPs and radiation biologists who favor a
> non-LNT model, while the writings of BEIR, NCRP, and
> ICRP tend to favor LNT.
>
> I am wondering if anyone has done a poll of health
> physicists and radiation biologists to find out what
> the consensus is, when we remove the audience factor
> and just go after pure scientific opinion, divorced
> from identities.
>
> Is there anyone interested in (and willing to) set
> up a poll on this matter?  I would think that some
> parameters should include anonymity of the
> resondent, some sort of check to prevent multiple
> voting, and (if
> possible) a restriction to radiation safety and
> radiation biology professionals (as opposed to
> uninformed, but ardent amateurs).
>
> Best regards,
>
> Andy
>
> P. Andrew Karam, Ph.D, CHP
>
> Research Assistant Professor
>
> Rochester Institute of Technology

"Every now and then a man's mind is stretched by a new idea and never shrinks back to its original proportion." -- Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist
e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com