[ RadSafe ] Re: LNT/threshold/hormesis - what do HPs really

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 21 16:27:32 CDT 2005

I think it is also fair to note that this is only
based on one study.  However, if one looks at all the
types of studies, e.g., thyroid cancers, lung cancers,
incident rates, etc., what model fits all of the
various types to some degree of reliability?  It is
certainly possible that the LNT does not fit the
results for one type of cancer.  How well does it do
for ALL cancers collectively?

Again, the BEIR VII says that leukemia cancers are
better fitted to a linear-quadratic.

http://cnts.wpi.edu/RSH/Docs/Pollycove/Pollycove2000_Symposium/Image29.gif

http://cnts.wpi.edu/RSH/Docs/Pollycove2000_Symp_on_Med_Ben.htm

> You can get the full ref to Miller 89 and PubMed
> abstract at:
> http://tinyurl.com/awuum
>
> Regards, Jim Muckerheide

"Every now and then a man's mind is stretched by a new idea and never shrinks back to its original proportion." -- Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist
e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com