AW: [ RadSafe ] Re: LNT/threshold/hormesis - what do HPs really

Franz Schönhofer franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Thu Jul 21 16:50:48 CDT 2005

Dear Andy,

I have many times deposited my opinion on the LNT-question at RADSAFE. Since
I am not an (American) Radiation Protection Celebrity my opinion has
obviously not been taken serious. My opinion was: If it is so difficult, or
rather impossible, to demonstrate either hormesis or LNT, if one needs
millions of cases, influenced by dozens if not hundreds of cofounding
factors, where usually not even the Gauss error propagation rules are
applied, then I do not believe that there will be any possibility to prove
either LNT nor hormesis. This still is my opinion and any cry for further
financial support of research to clarify these questions I have ridiculed.

If one compares risk and death in other circumstances like for instance the
war in Afghanistan or in Iraq, traffic accidents, tsunami victims, then any
"academic" discussion of risks of low-level radiation becomes ridiculous.

So, Andy, I may conclude that, though a certain interest in the opinion of
the Health Physics Community is justified, I do not think that any result
could be of further help. I rather fear, that, whatever the result would be,
either the pro-nuclear lobby or the anti-nuclear lobby would use the
results.

I do not know of any discussion in Europe on LNT, which does not mean, that
health physicists would not have an opinion.

I personally regard LNT as a very valuable tool for regulatory purposes,
whether it is right or not.

Best regards,

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer