AW: [ RadSafe ] Re: LNT/threshold/hormesis - what do HPs really

Rainer.Facius at dlr.de Rainer.Facius at dlr.de
Fri Jul 22 12:27:03 CDT 2005

John:

Here are data from another study for many cancers.

>From the data in the Cardis 1995 paper I attach three graphs giving their SMR data with the 95% confidence limits for all cancers, for all cancers except leukemia, and for all radiogenic leukemia. The data from this so far largest epidemiological study yielded as yet the most reliable empirical risk estimates for most tumours from occupational chronic radiation exposure.

Given that in no interval the SMR is significantly different from 1, the most appropriate form to represent these data is to lump them together. At least, that is what every textbook on statistics would advise. The pooled average SMR again with its 95% confidence limits in the given exposure range is indistinguishable from 1.

Finally, lines representing the various respective LNT postulates allow you to compare, which representation yields a more reliable risk estimate. When doing this comparison, you have to keep in mind that these risk coefficients are themselves associated with large - some people would say huge error bars - which are not reflected here. Depending on the number of factors considered to contribute to the uncertainty of the LNT risk coefficients, their resulting indeterminateness is surely in the order of 100%.

What degree of reliability would you assign to risk estimates derived from the LNT postulate in comparison to those derived from the data themselves?

Regards, Rainer

Dr. Rainer Facius
German Aerospace Center
Institute of Aerospace Medicine