[ RadSafe ] Traveling After Nuclear Medicine Procedure May n ot fly

Jean-Francois, Stephane stephane_jeanfrancois at merck.com
Fri Jul 22 13:50:41 CDT 2005

I have not been reading this list for a while and here again I see one of
the numerous trend about "homeland insecurity".

In any detection or alarm functions, you will see the difference between
trained and untrained personnel when a positive radiation reading is
obtained.

This issue is not new and we all know that. It is an issue that has inflated
since 9-11 because even before, we had problems with alarms in land fill
sites and how to treat them. Good instrumentation and very good training
were the key back then. The issue with nuclear medicine procedures and the
member of the public was more (prior 9-11) an issue of doses then detection.
So what is the issue now ?

We are facing the fact that ANYONE may have a radiation detector for various
reasons, from the police officer (who have guns) to your neighbors who is a
lawyer. A patient card will not be the miracle solution. And Sandy, please
note that "the one who really want to hurt us" wants more to create terror
then to hurt you, and there are many non-detectable ways to create terror
with radioactivity.

So what should we do ? Ask people to go with a radioactive warning sign on
the forehead ?

My opinion.

Stéphane Jean-François, Eng., CHP
Manager, Environmental and Health Physics services
Merck Frosst Canada
514-428-8695
514-428-8670
stephane_jeanfrancois at merck.com