[ RadSafe ] What Became of this 2001 WHO Investigation?

James Salsman james at bovik.org
Sat Jul 23 14:12:27 CDT 2005

Roger Helbig asks about this report:

"Depleted Uranium:  Sources, Exposure and Health Effects,
World Health Organization," Ionizing Radiation Unit, 2001.
   http://www.who.int/ionizing_radiation/env/du/en/index.html

Chapter 8, "The Chemical Toxicity of Uranium," --
http://www.who.int/ionizing_radiation/pub_meet/en/Depluranium4.pdf
-- is of particular interest.  Apparently well-funded United
States national laboratories are incapable of research
matching even a fraction of the quality of that of the United
Nation's poorly-funded WHO.  Page 103:  "Until more
information on the chemical form of uranium and DU in the
environment is obtained, it would be prudent to assume that
it is in a soluble form (ICRP Type F)."

Of course, given that Mary Ann Parkhurst was at the top of the
distribution list of Sandia's report this past Thursday, I can
see why there is quite an interest in suppressing the obvious
and irrefutable fact that essentially all exposed UO2 weathers
to uranyl oxide, and that plenty of uranyl oxide in gas vapor
form is produced when UO2 cools from the 3000+ deg.C at which
it is formed from uranium combustion weapons.

Sincerely,
James Salsman