[ RadSafe ] Re: [ RadSafe] What Became of this 2001 WHO Investigation?

Marcel Schouwenburg M.Schouwenburg at TNW.TUDelft.NL
Mon Jul 25 06:44:51 CDT 2005

Posted on behalf of  Susan Gawarecki

James,

It's not clear to me what the water table depth has to do with
contamination of the surface with uranium.  By the way, shallow
groundwater in southern Iraq would only be found in the active Tigris
and Euphrates floodplain and delta.  It's a desert everywhere else and
groundwater is much deeper.  If you are concerned about uranium being
carried into the groundwater, rainfall is the mechanism by which this
happens--there is a good deal of that in Bosnia and Kosovo and very
little in Iraq.  Natural uranium is not an uncommon trace component of
groundwater in many geologic settings.  Considering the dilution factor
of groundwater, the low solubility of uranium oxide, and the low total
mass of uranium involved, this potential exposure pathway is of no
consequence in these war zones.

I get the impression from your statements that you are quoting the
literature with no real understanding of what it means.  An expert in a
particular field can look at a data set and make many important
inferences based on education and experience.  You consistently make
mistakes by taking factoids out of context and trying to juxtapose them
in a strained (and unsuccessful) effort to prove your point.

While I am not a health physicist, I am a geologist with a doctorate
earned doing field studies in the desert on the west bank of the Gulf of
Suez, Egypt.  Moreover, I wrote two major research papers on the geology
of Iraq and worked for 10 years as a hydrogeologist (a person who deals
with groundwater), much of it supervising monitoring-well installations
at hazardous waste sites and interpreting the resulting data, so I know
what I'm talking about.  As far as I can tell, you have yet to establish
any bona fides in the radiation safety arena.  Being well-meaning and
having a lots of references just isn't enough.

Sincerely,
Susan Gawarecki