[ RadSafe ] Disposal via Decay in Storage

ROY HERREN royherren2005 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 10 17:30:36 CST 2005

   A few hundred counts on the floor or work bench is a big deal to the NRC, but God forbid that they should ever go do a survey in the patients restroom.  The kidneys and the bladder do a great job of filtering out foreign material such as Tc-99M.  If the average bone scan Tc-99m patient is dosed with 25 mCi how much goes down the drain in the first hour while the patient is awaiting uptake prior to imaging?  Simple answer...a lot.  I have personally seen an incontinence pad set off a land fill monitor at over 25 feet away.

  Safe to say, Nuc Med is a world away from the Health Physics of Nuclear Power.

Roy Herren
"McMahan, Kimberly L." <mcmahankl at ornl.gov> wrote:
Not to be too contrary, but we DO have people walking around "hot." I
suppose it's that age-old difference between the medical definition of
"hot" and everyone else's. =]

Kim McMAHAN
Oak Ridge National Laboratory
External Dosimetry 865.576.1566