[ RadSafe ] Graphite SWAG Answer - Helium on tubine? - thori um cycle

John Andrews andrewsjp at chartertn.net
Tue Nov 15 21:54:37 CST 2005

Joe and All,

As I recall, the thorium for the General Atomic HTGRs used selected
thorium from  low uranium content ore to keep the amount of Th-230 low
in the separated thorium.  If there is significant Th-230 in the thorium
used in the reactor, then it breeds U-232 which has the same daughters
as thorium in the decay chain because U-232 decays to Th-228, but has a
much shorter parent in the 74 year U-232.  Since the U-232 cannot be
separated from the U-233, the resultant uranium becomes very radioactive
with high energy gamma rays rather quickly after separation from the
daughters.  This means that any weapons production (or fuel, for that
matter) must be done within a month or two of the separation process and
massive shielding is necessary for storage and handling of the U-233
containing trace amounts of U-232.  This may be acceptable for fuel
production, but would really inhibit the use of U-233 for weapons.

John Andrews, Knoxville, Tennessee