¦^ÂСG Re: [ RadSafe ] Disposal via Decay in Storage

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 18 12:02:18 CST 2005

Khalid,
While your generally comment about initial activity
and time held until release is true, the use of Tc-99m
is a bad example.  If you wait 7 days, the reduction
in activity is 3.7 X 10^-7 per cent.  If the monthly
release limit for Tc-99m is 0.01 microcurie/ml from
Appendix B to Part 20--"Annual Limits on Intake (ALIs)
and Derived Air Concentrations (DACs) of Radionuclides
for Occupational Exposure; Effluent Concentrations;
Concentrations for Release to Sewerage"
http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/cfr/part020/appb/Technetium-99m.html
you would have to have start with about 267 curies of
Tc-99m.

--- Khalid Aleissa <kaleissa at kacst.edu.sa> wrote:

> Exactly .... this is my point too ... Waiting more
> than 7 half-lives will
> reduce the activity to less than 1% but what would
> be the exempted level for
> example for Tc99m to discard.
>
> Khalid

"Efforts and courage are not enough without purpose and direction."
"John F. Kennedy, U.S. President and former Naval Officer

e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com