FW: [ RadSafe ] New Radiation Protection Unit? The Taylor (Ty)

George J. Vargo vargo at physicist.net
Thu Nov 24 00:07:53 CST 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: George J. Vargo [mailto:vargo at physicist.net]
Sent: Thursday, November 24, 2005 00:37
To: 'John R Johnson'
Cc: 'jimm at wpi.edu'
Subject: RE: [ RadSafe ] New Radiation Protection Unit? The Taylor (Ty)

John,

This is just a manifestation of my ongoing personal and professional
frustration with an inconsistent and incoherent system of units and
quantities that Allisy purveys as coherent. Simply, it is not.  That said, I
have no personal problem working in portions of this system, but I am the
exception and outside the mainstream of professional practice in North
America.  The current ICRP/ICRU quantities and units are bankrupt on many
levels and useless to the front-line practitioner and most especially the
emergency responder.  While it may make academic sense, we can't make it
work in the field where it is impossible to control the myriad of
qualifications and constraints implicit.  In my moments of greater
frustration, I have referred to some of ICRP's ruminations as
radioflatulence.

The more I deal with front line responders, the more I find the historical
units and quantities to be galvanizing.  I can get a fire battalion
commander to relate to 360 mrem/year -- ~ 1 mrem/day and explain scenarios
in multiples of that.  A bequerel is utterly meaningless to a firefighter
dressed in 20-25kg  of protective equipment.  Curies are usable and
understandable units.  While the scientist in me rails against the
historical units, they win the day in the court of public understanding,
acceptance, and opinion.  Even NIST has backed away from a strict SI
orthodoxy.

Of course, the Holy Grail is a universal quantification of risk, but none of
us is smart enough to propose this given what we don't know.   The inclusion
of other factors such as chemical exposures is absolutely essential and it
would be constructive to propose what we would need to know to project such
a risk.

All that said, I still welcome an international coherent system of units and
measures.  It is ultimately essential in commerce and other transnational
issues.

Apologies if I disappoint a former teacher, mentor, and manager.

George

PS -- John Jacobus and other promiscuous correswpondents-- Please, for God's
sake, limit your replies rather than burdening all of us with the entire
thread of he thread from its conceptus!  I can feel my hair grow as I scroll
through endless repeated drivel that adds nothing to the thread, but adds so
much to the obsufacation of the topic at hand!!!!

George J. Vargo, Ph.D., CHP
Senior Scientist
MJW Corporation
http://www.mjwcorp.com