[ RadSafe ] RE: BEIR 7 Report

Muckerheide, James jimm at WPI.EDU
Wed Oct 5 21:00:51 CDT 2005

Friends,

This message from Andre Maisseu links to a manuscript preprint by our friend
Maurice Tubiana and Andre Aurengo that addresses some of the significant
differences between the French joint report of the Academy of Sciences and
National Academy of Medicine (see
http://cnts.wpi.edu/rsh/docs/FrenchAcads-EN-FINAL.pdf  58 p, PDF 360 KB
<http://cnts.wpi.edu/rsh/docs/FrenchAcads-EN-FINAL.pdf> ) and the BEIR VII
report (which is NOT a review of the relevant science by the U.S. National
Academy of Sciences, but is a result of a carefully selected group by the
Board of Radiation Effects Research). This review substantially downplays the
failures of the BEIR VII Committee report and the bases for "conclusions"
expressed by the BRER/Committee in accordance with EPA direction.

In addition to the link below, see the manuscript at:
http://cnts.wpi.edu/rsh/docs/correspondence/BEIRVII/TubianaAurengo5Oct05.pdf

Regards, Jim Muckerheide

________________________________

From: andre maisseu [mailto:a.maisseu at wonuc.org]
Sent: Wednesday, October 05, 2005 6:07 PM

"Dose-effect relationship and estimation of the carcinogenic effects of low
doses of ionizing radiation"

Maurice Tubiana, André Aurengo

I.J.L.R, vol 2, N 3/4, pp 134-151

Comparison between the Joint Report of the Académie des Sciences (Paris) and
of the Académie Nationale de Médecine and the BEIR 7 Report

Contrarily to the French Academies report, BEIR 7 report, published four
months later, concludes that the linear no-threshold relationship (LNT)
should be used for assessing the carcinogenic risks of low or very low doses.
Since both reports rely to a large extent on the same data, the causes of
this disagreement needs to be investigated. We shall consider below the
various sources of this controversy.

For more Information <http://www.wonuc.org/lowrad/dub011-ok.pdf>  :
http://www.wonuc.org