[ RadSafe ] Beta emitters and external risks

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 17 12:27:40 CDT 2005

Dale,
Yes, I stand corrected.  I thought you were refering
to a contact dose.  From the "Radionuclide and
Radiation Protection Data Handbook," the positron dose
at 10 cm is 0.096 mSv/hr/MBq/cm^2 while the photon
dose rate to the skin is 0.0068 and 0.0064 for the
deep dose.  For  O-15, the positron dose rate is 0.14
mSv/hr/MBq/cm^2, which is the same for P-32.  Very
interesting.

What cutoff dose rate would you use for beta exposure
concerns?  I was thinking of 800 keV.

e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com