[ RadSafe ] BEIR 7 Report ( + question on Wing report on LANL )

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 17 14:01:29 CDT 2005

Jaro,
As always, it is better to read the material, e.g.,
BEIR VII, Part 2, that speculate on what it does and
does not say.  For one thing, the BEIR VII considers
low dose, low-LET radiation effects.  I believe that
Wing's latest (or continuation of on-going) work
involves internal contamination of Pu-239 and other
actinides.

As for Wing, et. al., their work has been criticized
in many places.  However, because he has a chance to
speak first on an issue and has various degrees to
support his work, he is hard to stop.

--- "Franta, Jaroslav" <frantaj at aecl.ca> wrote:

> As an interesting aside, it appears that even BEIR 7
> didn't support the
> claims by Wing & his ilk.....
>

> http://www.house.gov/science/wing_071800.htm
> Steve Wing, Associate Professor, Department of
> Epidemiology, School of
> Public Health, University of North Carolina
> Statement to the Subcommittee on Energy and
> Environment of the Committee on
> Science, United States House of Representatives,
> July 18, 2000
>
> <SNIP>
>
> My testimony will make three points: current cancer
> risk estimates are too
> low by a factor of ten or more;  current standards
> do not adequately protect
> workers and the public;  and, a large and growing
> body of scientific
> evidence shows that there is no basis for further
> relaxation of radiation
> protection standards.
> <SNIP>
> <END QUOTE>
>

> Incidentally, would someone please provide comments
> on Steve Wing's report
> on LANL, that supposedly shows an "....unexplained
> presence at LANL of
> pu-238 four to twenty times the estimates from
> DOE.... and higher than
> backgound levels of pu in autopsies of citizens who
> never worked at LANL."
>
> The review at this URL doesn't actually provide
> details of these claims :
>
> http://www.nuclearactive.org/docs/RTKExecSumm.pdf
> New Mexico's Right to Know: The Impacts of LANL
> Operations on Public Health
> and the Environment
> . . .

On Oct. 5, 1947, in the first televised White House address, President Truman asked Americans to refrain from eating meat on Tuesdays and poultry on Thursdays to help stockpile grain for starving people in Europe.

-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist
e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com