[ RadSafe ] Wall Thickness of Sealand Shipping Containers

Leo M. Lowe llowe at senes.ca
Mon Oct 17 15:13:07 CDT 2005

Hello,

Basically, I am interested in "standard" 20 foot (6.1 m x 2.4 m x 2.6 m) or
40 foot (12.2 m x 2.4 m x 2.6 m) unlined, steel, sea-land containers for
the shipment of bulk, dry materials (e.g. raw materials or concentrates)
often packaged in standard 45 gallon (200 L) steel drums, i.e loaded on
pallets through the doors at one end of the container, sometimes in two
layers.  I had assumed that any coatings/paint would provide negligible
gamma shielding relative to the walls/ends (assumed to be iron for the
shielding calculations).

At 10:43 AM 10/17/2005, you wrote:

>You will need to get a bit more specific. Each container, and there are
>hundreds of designs, is different. Most companies make a steel as well as
>an aluminum models of 20' and 40', open and reefer type containers. To
>compound the issue, is  whether the cans are lined or not, as well as their
>interior and exterior coatings, and the wall corrogation shape.

Leo M. Lowe, Ph.D., P.Phys.

SENES Consultants Limited
llowe at senes.ca
www.senes.ca
Tel: (905) 764-9380
Fax:(905) 764-9386

This transmission is intended only for the addressee and may contain
PRIVILEGED or CONFIDENTIAL information.  Any unauthorized disclosure, use
or retention is strictly prohibited.  SENES does not accept liability for
any errors, omissions, corruption or virus in contents or
attachments.  Information is provided for use "as is" by the
addressee.  Revised documents must not be represented as SENES work
product, without express, written permission of a SENES Director.