[ RadSafe ] Re: Costs of "rad protection"?

Dahlskog, Leif Leif.Dahlskog at health.wa.gov.au
Tue Oct 25 01:03:42 CDT 2005

>parthasarathy k s wrote:-
>I did not know that Radium-226 is used in lightning arresters?
Polonium-210 used to be one of
>the isotopes; because of its relatively short half life, the activity
used must be high
>initially.

Yes Po-210 rings a bell.  Was there not some issue with some Po-210
sources used which resulted in the leaking of the 'microspheres' used to
contain them? I don't recall the specifics.

Leif Dahlskog
Radiation Health Branch
Department of Health, Western Australia
Ph   (+61 8) 9346 2260
Fax (+61 8) 9381 1423

The contents of this e-mail transmission are intended solely for the
named recipient(s), may be confidential, and may be privileged or
otherwise protected from disclosure in the public interest.  The use,
reproduction, disclosure or distribution of the contents of this e-mail
transmission by any person other than the named recipient(s) is
prohibited.  If you are not the named recipient please notify the sender
immediately.