[ RadSafe ] RE: Looking for References on Liquid Scintillation Counting for Tritium

Marcel Schouwenburg M.Schouwenburg at TNW.TUDelft.NL
Wed Sep 7 02:15:29 CDT 2005

Felipe,

In general there are several ways to reduce the influence of
(Chemo)Lumenescence (CL). The most used ones are:

- Usage of a special LSC-cocktail that is less sensitive for CL.
- Adjusting (usually reducing) the pH of the countingsample.
- Preparing the samples out of direct (sun)light.
- Apply a waiting time between the preparation and counting of the
samples (eg. 24 h).
- Counting the samples two or three-times with some time in between.
Since CL will reduce in time this will give some idea about the
contributuion of CL to the countrate.

CL can be distinguished by most modern LCS-counters since the photons
produced in so-called single events. The photons can be quite easily
distinguished from beta-pulses by the coincidence circuit. Because of
this be sure your LSC-counter has coincidence-counting turned on and
single photon-count turned off. On most counters this is default. On
many modern counters there is a feature called lumenescence correction.
Check your manual for this option.

Hope this helps some. Feel free to contact me if you have any further
questions.

With kind regards,

Marcel Schouwenburg - RadSafe moderator & List owner
Head Training Centre Delft
National Centre for Radiation Protection (Dutch abbr. NCSV)

Faculty of Applied Sciences / Reactor Institute Delft
Delft University of Technology
Mekelweg 15
NL - 2629 JB  DELFT
The Netherlands