[ RadSafe ] Re: Fw: Someone just responded to your comment

Gv1 at aol.com Gv1 at aol.com
Wed Sep 7 21:02:52 CDT 2005

I don't think the issue of reduced exposure is that work is being put off in
a careless manner, it's more related to the fact that we are finally running
power plants >97% capacity over the fuel cycle like we were supposed to.  What
happened at Davis Besse was not driven by money, but by not interpreting the
symptoms they were presented correctly and not digging deeper.  Had their
motive truly been just about money, they clearly would have shut down to save the
expensive reactor head and to prevent the plant for being down many months
while a new head was created.

I believe the component and system surveillance requirements are the same as
they have always been, but more time has been put into predictive maintenance
templates.  As an example, when plants used to trip every 150 days or so, we
used to go into components arbitrarily, not because there was a risk.  Now, the
decision would be based upon the ultimate surveillance requirements and
performance-based monitioring.

One thing that is interesting is that now that we're running these plants as
long as were are supposed to, some components are having difficulty making it
the full cycle.  This creates short-term increases in costs to replace
components with more durable ones to make the entire cycle.

When looking at collective rad exposure it is also necessary to understand
the plant design.  For example, Turkey Point is an older PWR with relatively few
components to fail compared to some later model BWR units.  Remember in the
70's when car makers went from the simple V-8 and carburetor to the smog
engines with all of the "extra" stuff.  Those later, improved engines, actually had
worse reliability and increased maintenance because of the greater number of
components available for failure.  Now, both cars and power plants are being
redesigned in a more efficienct manner instead of just adding additional
components.  Newer designs have fewer overall components, so the overall mean time
before failure should be longer.

The reduction in outage duration is driven purely by economic reasons such as
the threat of being competetive with other energy sources in a deregulated
environment.  This means the correct amount of maintenance has to be done to
maximize reliability.  It has forced utilities to better understand what they do
and why they do it.  Mods done to the plant to make more money are also the
ones that increase reliability and safety.  This really has been a win-win
situation for reducing collective rad exposure and utilities working to make
nuclear power "too cheap to meter".

Glen Vickers
Nuclear Power