[ RadSafe ] Article: Nuke reactors on campuses keep low profile

Michael McCarty mccartmj at michigan.gov
Thu Sep 8 12:23:07 CDT 2005

>>> "O.Bruce Bugg" <obbugg at gsp.net> 09/08/05 10:34 AM >>>

The article makes at least one factual misstatement:

The Georgia Tech and University of Michigan reactors have been closed,
not converted to LEU.

Actually the Ford Reator at U of M was converted to LEU before it was closed.  The neutron spectrum changed with the change in fuel but it ran that way for years before all the fuel was returned to the DOE in preparation for reactor decommissioning.  I rode "shotgun" with the MSP Motor Carrier officers escorting each load of fuel to the state line.

The fresh fuel was stored in a locked closet off of the reactor deck.  Even with the restricted access to the building I suspect that such light-weight security would not be allowed in today's world.

Mike

Michael J. McCarty
Physicist, MDEQ Radiological Laboratory

Waste and Hazardous Materials Division
Radiological Protection and Medical Waste Section
Environmental Monitoring Unit
815 Terminal Road
Lansing, MI  48906

phone:  517-335-8196