[ RadSafe ] Accident Could Have Been worst? RE:Chernobyl Nuclear Accident Could Have Been.....

Emil kerrembaev at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 8 15:28:02 CDT 2005

Let me take a breath.

Accident could have been WORST?????

> Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2005 12:21:30 -0400
> From: Susan Gawarecki <loc at icx.net>
> Subject: [ RadSafe ] Chernobyl Nuclear Accident Could Have Been
> Worse
> More details from the report.
>
> --Susan Gawarecki
>
> Chernobyl Nuclear Accident Could Have Been Worse

> Review
>
> VIENNA, Sept. 5 - The Chernobyl nuclear disaster 19 years ago may
> eventually lead to up to 4,000 deaths from radiation exposure, but

<Snip>

> No acute radiation effects on plants and animals were reported
> outside a
> region within 30 kilometers of the Chernobyl plant, the report
> says.

<snip>

Oh, really?

Well, I guess those five or six pine trees along the road on the way
to Kiev, way far pass the 30 km boundary, we saw when were passing
every other weekend, they probably, dried out for some different
reason.
We were not taking exposure meters when we were going out to party,
we just wonna forget everything :-)

Second, to be more precise, there were no observed acute effects on
the plants in the area between 10 km and 30 km radius boundaries...

10 km boundary is the area where all that hot chunky stuff
(fuel and neutrons moderator) had landed.

Third, but not the least. The Chernobyl accident was the WORST that
could happened to this type fuel and reactor configuration.
Remember, we were taught back in school that the worst accident which
possibly could happen or the maximum projected accidental event on
RBMK-1000 (Reactor Big Power Channeled - 1000 Mega Watts electrical
power output) was the main/cooling loop  rupture not an explosion or
series of explosions inside the reactor. As I remembered, those old
reactor tech specs were later revised sometime in 1987-88.

I understand, this topic has to do more with the radiation effects
after the accident.

Emil.