[ RadSafe ] Pu-239 famous chemical toxitity

Rick Orthen rorthen at cecinc.com
Fri Sep 9 07:58:33 CDT 2005

Back in the mid-1990's, Pu-238 processing for the Cassini orbiter was
completed at the Savannah River Site's H-Canyon (HB-Line) and the process
was prepared for stabilization of Pu-242 solutions to an oxide through use
of an oxalic acid precipitation method followed by filtration and
calcination.  According to EIS-0220 (Interim Mgmt of Nuclear Materials EIS),
DOE placed Pu-242 in the nuclear weapons stockpile stewardship program as
Pu-242 was/is an essential and increasingly important part of the stockpile
stewardship program.  While DOE placed the information on the use and need
for Pu-242 in a classified Appendix to EIS-0220, more information about it
can be found in the EIS [available from many sources, including
http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/library/report/enviro/eis-0220/index.html]
.

I have also noted that ORNL's isotopes sales division has Pu-242 listed in
milligram quantities; whether this is valid I have no idea.

Rick Orthen
Civil & Environmental Consultants, Inc.
Pittsburgh