AW: [ RadSafe ] Chernobyl's Reduced Impact

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 9 14:37:30 CDT 2005

Rainer,
I think the causes of mental illness, alcoholism,
depression, etc. is due primarily to the people being
displaced from there home, loss of income, and being
lied to by their government.

In this country, large numbers of people were
evacuated, separated from family and friends, and sent
to places have never been before.  The difference, I
hope, is that the citizens of our country will get
medical, housing and living assistance.  Large numbers
of mental health professions have already been
dispacted.  Otherwise we could have a new outbreak of
hurricainephobia.

Radiophobia is a nice term.  However, you see these
same symptoms when natural or man-made disaster occur,
and people are displaced.  Blaming every preceived
problem on the use of the LNT hypothesisis the same as
anti-nuclear people blaming radiation for every
cancer.

Simplisticc, but not very scientific.

http://www.economist.com/printedition/displayStory.cfm?Story_ID=4370135

> <quote>Perhaps the true tragedy of Chernobyl is that
> the biggest observable health impact so far has been
> on the mental health of the millions who have been
> told they are at risk. Many of these people received
> radiation doses no larger than they would get on a
> holiday in a place such as Denver, where the
> altitude increases exposure to cosmic rays, yet they
> have spent their lives anticipating illness and
> incapacity, and this has translated into such
> undesirable behaviours as drug abuse and long-term
> dependency on the state.<end quote>
>

> To my knowledge it was Klaus Becker who most aptly
> coined the word RADIOPHOBIA for the mental condition
> whose symptoms and consequences are described in
> this article as in many others these days. Becker
> used it at a time when the full implications were
> only perceived by those who had not yet lost the
> ability to discriminate between data and postulates.
> These reports should finally immunise us against the
> contention that - while potentially being wrong - it
> might nevertheless be prudent to act according to
> the LNT postulate (including the ensuing ALARA
> incantation) since it does no harm. Unless we
> succeed in eradicating this mental bug it will
> continue to exact its sacrifices - among individuals
> as well as in the society as a whole.
>

> Regards, Rainer

"Every now and then a man's mind is stretched by a new idea and never shrinks back to its original proportion." -- Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist
e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com