[ RadSafe ] (no subject)

John Ahlquist john.ahlquist at sbcglobal.net
Sat Sep 10 23:19:19 CDT 2005

Editor:  I'm sending from my home eamil rather than my receiving email
of john.ahlquist at ucop.edu.

Thanks.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++

I've seen estimates that 25,000 to 250,000 unnecessary abortions were
performed in Europe following Chernobyl because of radiophobia.  Even
if those numbers are way too high, it is likely that the radiophobia
cost many more lives than the accident itself.  Teller is correct that
fear is more toxic than the actual exposure.

The antis need to consider the effects of their actions when they
strive mightily [and often successfully] to foment fear of radiation.

John Ahlquist

Blaming every preceived problem on the use of the LNT hypothesisis the
same as anti-nuclear people blaming radiation for every cancer.

I don't think anyone is doing that. Radiophobia is a real phenomenon,
and clearly at least a contributory element in the depression,
alcoholism, etc. cited in the article. It certainly was the cause of the
unnecessary abortions in Europe post-Chernobyl, the cause of the only
fatalities at TMI (traffic accidents). I don't see a direct connection
here with LNT. People are afraid of radiation in a manner that is out of
proportion to its real threat. Radiation, like electricity, can pose a
real threat, but can be managed and if properly managed, like
electricity, we can live without unhealthy fear of it while it is part
of our lives. Correction of misperception is at least a good thing, if
not a responsibility that those of us who know better, to do.

Mike

Michael G. Stabin, PhD, CHP
Assistant Professor of Radiology and Radiological Sciences
Department of Radiology and Radiological Sciences
Vanderbilt University
1161 21st Avenue South
Nashville, TN 37232-2675
Phone (615) 343-0068