[ RadSafe ] Re: Reasoning the Unreasonables (frm:Chernobyl's Reduced Impact)

howard long hflong at pacbell.net
Wed Sep 14 12:42:28 CDT 2005

If HPs choose to protect, rather than follow the Jacques Cousteau philosophy
that mother earth should have c 300,000 people done away with daily
(like Emil's spider lady?), then HPs should publicize to neighbors their preparedness
to monitor radiation levels in any emergency (as at www.Nukalert.com or www.Berkeleynucleonics.com ).

Howard Long

Emil <kerrembaev at yahoo.com> wrote:
howard long wrote:

> Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 10:05:37 -0700 (PDT)
> From: howard long
> Subject: Re: AW: AW: [ RadSafe ] Chernobyl's Reduced Impact

> John and all,
> Will LNT fears (cancer risk with <10rem) increase panic?
> With a dirty bomb in DC, could it cause stampede, as fear did in
> Baghdad?
> Can education and Nukalerts prevent disaster
> by reassurance of no harm unless exposed to that level for >X hours
> or days?
>
> "Fear itself, is our greatest fear" (or something like that from FD
> Roosevelt)
>
> Howard Long

Howard,

I don't think some of them want to be "educated".
It would be even in some people, other than terrorists, best interest
to have bigger impact from the panic.

I will explain what I do mean.

The same logic would apply to prevent spent fuel save storage
resolution.

Let me tell share a recent personal encounter with someone who would
value a hypothetical statistical environmental concern over the
immediate risk to the persons/public health.

I was renting house, this Summer was very good for the spiders, a lot
of them, a lot...
I expressed my concerns to the house owner, lovely, lovely lady who
would never kill a spider and she started educating me about
harmlessness of the MOST spiders....

To make story short.

She refused to spray anything in and around the house with anything
INORGANIC.... I moved out and during the process I was bitten by
"hobo"-"the northwestern" spider, I was lucky, it was not the "brown
recluse".

Cost me a lot of money, antibiotics and inconveniences to pull thru
that accident :-)
Just do not want to deal with that person anymore.
I probably could have sued her butt for the damages, pain and
sufferings, but I just got up and move on........on the other side of
the Bay :-)

So what is the point?

The point is, some people have some kind of glasses on their eyes,
they way they look on this world, thru those glasses, they do not see
the real and immediate threat from things like spiders or spent fuel.
They are more concern with, sort of saving this world as a WHOLE and
at ONCE.
I, on the other hand, see my mission not that big, I do not think, I
have that bigger responsibility, I am just trying to get along and
not get bitten by a spider or get burned by a chunk of spent fuel..
Okay?

So long, Emil.