AW: [ RadSafe ] Chernobyl's Reduced Impact

Maury Siskel maurysis at ev1.net
Wed Sep 14 16:31:01 CDT 2005

Please forgive the anecdotal intrusion, but ... I know and have known
uncounted numbers who fear radiation, BUT who have little clue what is
meant by ionizing radiation (not to say low level or chronic), by LNT,
by PET, by CT, by MRI, and even in a serious sense X-Ray. But radiation?
sure everybody knows about that -- the invisible rays that killed masses
of people from the atom bombs in Japan and that might kill us by a
terrorist dirty bomb .... John, one can bandy technically correct
distinctions, but there are vast numbers of folks who have a variety of
obvious vested interests in exacerbating fears of anything  suggesting
radiation -- including even some sincere believers.  This extends to
some who expressly expend efforts to distort, suppress, and even hide
scientific data suggesting human benefits from some exposure to
radiation.  Supposedly, one goal of science and govt is to promote
knowledge.

The promotion seems to me to have been increasingly poor in recent
decades.  Often all one can do is feel dismay while continuing to  work
in the correct direction.
Cheers,
Maury&Dog   maurysis at ev1.net