[ RadSafe ] "Gross-radium"

Franz Schönhofer franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Fri Sep 16 17:54:26 CDT 2005

Dear collegues,

I am working on a paper to be presented at the LSC 2005 conference, dealing
with the provisions of the European Union Drinking Water Directive, where I
want to draw some comparison to the legislation of other countries..

I remember from the old US legislation on drinking water radioactivity there
existed a ”gross-radium” value of 5 pCi/l. I do not remember the new
legislation from EPA. Since I am right now working parallel in Poland on a
very simple, really rapid and cheap method for determination (or in the
worst case: screening) of Ra-226 and Ra-228 in drinking water using ultra
low-level LSC (Quantulus) I would appreciate if someone could tell me, how
the „gross radium“ value was determined. Was it a sulphate precipitation
followed by some measurement? What about Pb-210 interference?

Thank you for any information.

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer

PhD, MR iR