AW: [ RadSafe ] Chernobyl's Reduced Impact

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 17 07:28:17 CDT 2005

Maury,
Thanks for comments and sorry for the delay in
responding.  I know exactly what you are talking
about.  I routinely edit questions from people who
have or have children who had received diagnostic
test.  I and those who respond do try and educate the
questioners.  We often spend quite a bit of time.
Such people are not ignorant and present good
arguements about risks.  But we try and educate and
reduce their concerns.  I am not sure we will
completely reduce their fears, but we try.

What I am coming to realize that this list presnts an
opportunity for people to complain about these issues.
 However, few do anything but complain.

--- Maury Siskel <maurysis at ev1.net> wrote:

> Please forgive the anecdotal intrusion, but ... I
> know and have known
> uncounted numbers who fear radiation, BUT who have
> little clue what is
> meant by ionizing radiation (not to say low level or
> chronic), by LNT,
> by PET, by CT, by MRI, and even in a serious sense
> X-Ray. But radiation?
> sure everybody knows about that -- the invisible
> rays that killed masses
> of people from the atom bombs in Japan and that
> might kill us by a
> terrorist dirty bomb .... John, one can bandy
> technically correct
> distinctions, but there are vast numbers of folks
> who have a variety of
> obvious vested interests in exacerbating fears of
> anything  suggesting
> radiation -- including even some sincere believers.
> This extends to
> some who expressly expend efforts to distort,
> suppress, and even hide
> scientific data suggesting human benefits from some
> exposure to
> radiation.  Supposedly, one goal of science and govt
> is to promote
> knowledge.
>
> The promotion seems to me to have been increasingly
> poor in recent
> decades.  Often all one can do is feel dismay while
> continuing to  work
> in the correct direction.
> Cheers,
> Maury&Dog   maurysis at ev1.net
> =====================
> Rainer.Facius at dlr.de wrote:
>
> >John:
> >"Do you know of anyone who has a fear of chronic
> low level ionizing radiation exposure?"
> >

> >Maybe the American media and the public in your
> personal perception retain a more rational stance
> regarding chronic low level ionizing radiation.
> Similarly, maybe your clientele - educated trained
> radiation workers - indeed knows that neither
> theoretical nor empirical reasons exist to worry
> about health detriment from such exposures below say
> between 10 and 50 mSv annually (I concede that the
> true value of a proper threshold is subject to
> scientifically legitimate debate).
> >
> >In Europe and particularly in Germany the examples
> to the contrary abound. Hardly a month elapses where
> radiophobia is not propagated by media reports -
> often backed up by reference to peer reviewed
> nonsense-papers. A not too old example that comes to
> my mind was the following excerpt from the German
> Times or Newsweek Magazine, DER SPIEGEL:
> >
> ><quote>
> >Tausende verstrahlt - weil Arztpraxen ums Überleben
> kämpfen
> >
> >Von Markus Becker <mailto:markus_becker at spiegel.de>
>

> >Mehr als 2000 Deutsche pro Jahr erkranken durch
> Röntgenuntersuchungen an Krebs. In einer
> internationalen Studie belegt Deutschland damit den
> europäischen Spitzenplatz. Der Hauptgrund: In zu
> vielen Arztpraxen müssen sich teure Geräte bezahlt
> machen.

> [...]
=== message truncated ===

"Every now and then a man's mind is stretched by a new idea and never shrinks back to its original proportion." -- Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist
e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com