AW: AW: AW: [ RadSafe ] Chernobyls Reduced Impact

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 18 10:23:26 CDT 2005

Of course, the real point is whether or not these
protest will affect regulations. The policy of the NRC
and other Federal agencies is to allow for public
participation. We may not like hearing about the
protests, but that is how our society works.

And I am glad it does work this way.
--John
--- BLHamrick at aol.com <BLHamrick at aol.com> wrote:
> In a message dated 9/17/2005 7:26:58 P.M. Pacific
Standard Time,
> crispy_bird at yahoo.com writes:
>
> <<I do not think it is thriving in the U.S.  I think
 it
> is about the same at it always has been.  How do you
> explain the  fact that many polls that claim the
public
> believes nuclear power is  important for energy
> independance and a cleaner environment.
>
> Of course, California is not like the rest of  the
> nation.<<
>
> I think your last sentence says a lot.  However,
when I was  reviewing the
> comments received on the NRC's ANPR on "Control of
Solid  Materials," I saw at
> least 1,000 comments (out of some 2,500) from all
over the  country reiterating
> the anti-nuclear party line - about the terrors  of
"deregulating" nuclear
> waste, and about the horrific legacy that  will be
left by these disposals.
> Most were carbon copies of comments  suggested by
PublicCitizen.org, or another
> organization.  Nevertheless,  they reflected what is
often in the media, and
> repeated in State legislatures  throughout the
country (see, e.g., the article
> on the I-131 waste which recently  set off a
landfill alarm in Ohio -

_http://www.cantonrep.com/index.php?Category=9&ID=239067&r=1_

(http://www.cantonrep.com/index.php?Category=9&ID=239067&r=1)
).

> Of course it's all nonsense, as these releases have
routinely been made  over
> decades.  The NRC was simply trying to codify the
criteria that's been  in
> use over that time - i.e., the criteria for
unrestricted release of equipment
> in Regulatory Guide 1.86, or the "twice background"
criteria many licensees
> use,  which are all tied to the materials licenses
in one form or another
> throughout  the U.S.
>
> The fact that the type of disinformation
disseminated by certain
> anti-nuclear groups and propagated far and wide by
the American media can  actually stop
> a reasonable rulemaking, attempting to simply codify
current  practices, in
> its tracks, says to me that this nation suffers from
a rather  severe case of
> radiophobia, and it costs us a great deal of money.
>
> Barbara

"Every now and then a man's mind is stretched by a new idea and never shrinks back to its original proportion." -- Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist
e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com