[ RadSafe ] Meeting Announcement - SCCHPS - October 6, 2005

Tosh Ushino rad_chp at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 20 14:18:10 CDT 2005

Ladies and Gentlemen of RADSAFE:

There will be a Southern California Chapter of the
Health Physics Society Dinner Meeting on Thursday,
October 6th. The location of the meeting is The
Pacific Room at Cal State Long Beach campus.

The speaker is Dr. Brian Dodd, President-Elect of the
National Chapter of the Health Physics Society.

The title of his talk is: The IAEA and the Control of
Radioactive Sources

This presentation briefly reviews the International
Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) and particularly its role
in the safety and security of radioactive sources.  It
then traces the rise of international concern with
respect to sources, beginning with orphan source
accidents and more recently with regard to the
possible acquisition of sources for malicious
purposes.  International efforts to remediate past
problems and prevent future ones are outlined as well
as the role of the USA in this effort.  The impact on
the USA of recent international developments to
increase control over sources is discussed.  Finally,
possible roles for the Health Physics Society and its
members in helping the international community are
proposed.

Brief Biosketch of Dr. Brian Dodd:
Originally from the U.K., where he worked at Imperial
College and the Royal Naval College in Greenwich,
Brian Dodd and his family moved to the USA in 1978,
taking up citizenship in 1993. Until February 2004,
Dr. Dodd was Head of the International Atomic Energy
Agency’s Radiation Source Safety and Security Unit,
managing the IAEA’s efforts in dealing with orphan
sources and the potential use of radioactive sources
for radiological terrorism. He is currently ‘retired’
from the managerial burdens of work, but is still
pursuing the technical aspects as BDConsulting in Las
Vegas. Prior to joining the IAEA he was at Oregon
State University for 20 years, most recently as the
Director of its Radiation Center as well as a
Professor of Health Physics and Nuclear Engineering.
Dr. Dodd has been involved with the Health Physics
Society for many years, including terms of office on
the Board of Directors and as Treasurer.  He is
currently also Treasurer of IRPA. His fields of
expertise include safety and security of radioactive
sources, transportation of radioactive material,
emergency response, training and research reactors.
(Many more details can be found at: www.BDodd.com)

The dinner is $25 per person, and the choices are:

Grilled Gingeryaki Chicken Breast
Charbroiled Top Sirloin
Vegetarian - Asian Vegetable Stir Fry

There will be a cash bar from 5:00 PM until dinner
time.

Social Hour: 5:00 – 6:00 PM
Dinner: 6:00 – 7:00 PM
Speaker: 7:00 – 8:00 PM

The link below provides directions and a map to the
Chartroom (cafe). The Chartroom has green awning. The
Pacific Room is located inside the Chartroom. For
parking the guests would need to stop at the
information booth on University Drive to get a parking
pass.

http://thegrand.net/LBState/directions.asp

Directions:

FROM: I-605 South or I-405 North
Merge onto CA-22 W toward 7th Street/Long Beach
CA-22 W becomes E. 7th Street
Take 7th Street to West Campus Drive. Turn Right.
Enter LOT 4 - 49er Shops Receiving Lot.

FROM: South Orange County Via Pacific Coast Highway
PCH traveling North
Proceed past Westminster/2nd Street intersection
The next major intersection is where PCH crosses
Seventh St. and Bellflower Blvd.
Make a hard right turn onto Seventh St, as you travel
past the VA Hospital merge to the center lane.
Turn left on West Campus Drive (Second light after
turning onto Seventh St.)
Enter LOT 4 - 49er Shops Receiving Lot.

FROM:  Los Angeles or South Bay
>From I-110 South or I-710 South, proceed to I-405
South
>From I-405 South, Exit Bellflower Blvd South
Left on E Los Coyotes Diagonal
Right onto N Bellflower Blvd
Left on State University Drive
State University Drive ends; Turn Right on West Campus
Drive
Left into LOT 4 49ers Shops Receiving Lot

Please respond to me via email to me
(tushino at dosimetry.com) if you plan to attend with
your dinner selection.

Please plan to pay at the door. See you there!

Tosh Ushino
Toshihide Ushino, CHP
Research Director
Global Dosimetry Solutions, Inc.
2652 McGaw Avenue, Irvine, CA 92614 USA
Phone: (949) 419-2413/(888) 437-1714 x2413
Email: tushino at dosimetry.com
Web page: www.dosimetry.com