[ RadSafe ] More "protection"

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 20 15:53:54 CDT 2005

Jim,
I am not familiar with any rules governing MRI
physicians or workers in the US.  What is the source
of the article?

A couple of MRI safety site mention metal clips
http://www.fda.gov/cdrh/safety/mrisafety.html
and http://www.radiographicceu.com/article12.html

The OSHA Web site does not have much on MRI
http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/radiofrequencyradiation/healtheffects.html

--- "Muckerheide, James" <jimm at WPI.EDU> wrote:

> Friends,
>

> This is about non-ionizing radiation protection.
> Note the ref to the rules
> to protect workers, primarily telecommunications and
> electricity industry
> workers.  The were Congressionally mandated
> scientific reviews in the U.S. in
> the 1990s on this, which seemed to have found no
> evidence of risks to
> workers.  Does anyone know how the EU/UK
> guidelines/proposed rules compare to
> applicable U.S. regulations? And whether any U.S.
> rules apply to MRI
> physicians as well as telecomm and electrical
> workers?
>

> Regards, Jim Muckerheide
>
> ======================
>

> Published online: 20 September 2005; |
> doi:10.1038/news050919-4
>

> Radiation law to block doctors' work
>

> European regulations on MRI scans too strict,
> experts say.
>
> Jennifer Wild
>
> Doctors across Europe are complaining loudly about
> new regulations on
> radiation exposure, which they say will needlessly
> hinder their use of
> magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) when treating
> patients.
>
> The European Union Physical Agents Directive, set to
> become law in April
> 2008, is aimed at protecting workers in
> telecommunications and the
> electricity industry from possible health risks
> caused by exposure to
> electromagnetic radiation.
>
> Strong fields can induce a current within tissues,
> which heats them up and
> may cause damage. Some controversial studies have
> suggested that such fields
> may also damage DNA.
>
> But the rules will also keep doctors away from MRI
> machines, which are
> another source of electromagnetic radiation. This
> will prevent nervous
> patients from being accompanied during scans, and
> may even restrict proper
> cleaning of the devices.
>
> Slim evidence
>
> Doctors say that MRI scanners are not dangerous, and
> that although the
> electromagnetic frequencies from these devices can
> gently heat tissues and
> stimulate nerves in the spine, this does not lead to
> damage because the
> heating effects are miniscule.
>
> Peter Mansfield, a retired Nobel Prize winner who
> played a key role in
> developing MRI, says the regulations are detrimental
> and "should be sent back
> to the drawing board".
>
> He and others note that MRI scans have been used to
> see inside the human body
> since the beginning of the 1980s, with no known ill
> effects.
>
> Any firm evidence of adverse effects from standing
> next to a scanner is
> sparse, says Ian Young, a retired engineer who
> helped to build the first MR
> scanner for medical imaging. He adds that
> [...]

"Every now and then a man's mind is stretched by a new idea and never shrinks back to its original proportion." -- Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist
e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com